What is scar revision surgery?
- Scar revision surgery is meant to minimize the scar so that it is more consistent with your surrounding skin tone and texture
- Scars are visible signs that remain after a wound has healed
- Scars are unavoidable results of injury or surgery, and their development can be unpredictable
- Poor healing may contribute to scars that are obvious, unsightly or disfiguring. Even a wound that heals well can result in a scar that affects your appearance
- Scars may be raised or recessed, different in color or texture from surrounding healthy tissue or particularly noticeable due to their size, shape or location
Your scar revision treatment options may vary based on the type and degree of scarring and can include:
- Simple topical treatments
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Surgical revision with advanced techniques in wound closure
Although scar revision can provide a more pleasing cosmetic result or improve a scar that has healed poorly, a scar cannot be completely erased.
Scar revision can be performed on people of any age and is a good option for you if:
- You are bothered by a scar anywhere on your body
- You are physically healthy
- You do not smoke
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals for your scar revision surgery
- You do not have active acne or other skin diseases in the area to be treated
Why see a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon for your scar revision surgery?
- Dr. Barlow is Board certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Facial plastic and reconstructive surgeons are specially trained in facial and neck plastic and reconstructive surgery procedures including scar revision
If you are interested in scar revision, please call 503-257-3204 or request a visit online with us.
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 310 S. Henry Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 20 F Street NW, STE 310 A ,Washington, DC 20001-6702