Not all skin lesions are cancer, but in can be difficult to tell by appearance alone. Dr. Barlow is skilled in the evaluation and treatment of skin lesions of the head and neck region.
- At your evaluation one of our specialists will discuss the options of evaluation and treatment with you
- A biopsy may be recommended
- A biopsy is the removal of a small piece of the lesion to be sent to a pathologist for evaluation
- Biopsy results are usually available within a week
Skin Lesion removal options:
- Some skin lesions do not need to be removed and can be observed for progression
- Some skin lesions can be treated with topical medication
- Skin lesion removal is often performed in the office under local anesthesia
- More extensive lesions may need removal in the operating room setting
- One of our specialists will discuss repair and reconstruction options with you
- Some skin lesion wounds can be reconstructed with simple closure
- Sometimes flaps or skin grafts are necessary
- Some skin cancers are better removed by a Dermatologist using Mohs surgery
- One of our specialists can refer you to a dermatologist for Mohs surgery when necessary
- Dr. Barlow is skilled in the repair and reconstruction of Mohs defects after the procedure has been performed
Why see a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon for your skin lesion removal surgery?
- Dr. Barlow is Board certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Facial plastic and reconstructive surgeons are specially trained in facial and neck plastic and reconstructive surgery procedures
If you have skin lesion problems, please call 503-257-3204 or request a visit online with us.
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 310 S. Henry Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 20 F Street NW, STE 310 A ,Washington, DC 20001-6702