Catching a hearing loss early is the best way to prevent it from worsening. The following questionnaire has been adapted from a self-assessment tool created by the American Academy of Otolaryngology. Please take the time to answer each question as accurately as possible.
Most hearing loss develops gradually, so the signs are difficult to detect. Ask yourself these questions to test how you are hearing:
- – Do people seem to mumble or speak in a softer voice more than they use to?
- – Do you feel tired or irritable after a long conversation?
- – Do you sometimes miss key words in a sentence?
- – Do you frequently need to ask people to repeat themselves?
- – Do you have difficulty understanding the conversation in a crowded room?
- – Do you often turn the volume up on the TV or radio?
- – Does background noise bother you?
- – Is it sometimes hard to hear the conversation on the telephone?
- – Do you sometimes not hear the doorbell or telephone ring?
- – Are your family or friends complaining about your hearing?