How do we make the Diagnosis?
- The initial diagnosis of allergy is made by history and physical examination
- To be certain of the diagnosis and proceed with effective therapy, allergy testing is performed
How Allergy testing works:
- Allergy testing consists of administering small amounts of allergens to the skin
- Allergy testing is performed using allergens responsible for the majority of allergy symptoms including trees, grasses, weeds, dust mites, molds, cat and dog)
- Testing takes about 1-1/2 hours and is usually only minimally uncomfortable
- The results are interpreted on the same day with one of our specialists
- After allergy testing has been completed one of our specialists can recommend directed avoidance measures and discuss the potential benefit of immunotherapy
- Skin testing for food sensitivity is usually not performed as this is either not safe or not a reliable measure of food allergy.
Call Mt. Hood ENT & Allergy at (503) 257-3204 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. One Prince St., Alexandria, VA 22314-3357, 1-703-836-4444
American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, St. 100, Reston, VA 20191