Head and neck masses in infants and children should always be evaluated by a doctor. These masses can be cysts or tumors. A doctor can develop an appropriate treatment plan that may include medication and/or surgery to shrink or remove the mass. If your child has a head or neck mass, please contact our office at (503) 257-3204 to schedule an appointment with an ENT specialist.
Pediatric Neck Mass Types:
- Inflammatory Neck Masses
- Reactive lymph nodes
- Atypical TB, TB
- Cat scratch disease
- Viral adenopathy
- Congenital Neck Masses
- Thyroglossal duct cyst
- Branchial anomalies
- Vascular malformations
- Vascular tumors
- Lymphatic malformations
- Dermoid cysts
- Sternocleidomastoid tumors of infancy
- Neoplastic (less common in children)
Head and Neck Mass Evaluation:
Complete history and physical examination to obtain accurate diagnosis.
Diagnostic testing if indicated:
- Flexible fiberoptic endoscopy to examine nose, nasopharynx, throat and voice box
- CT Scan, MRI or Ultrasound
- Needle Biopsy or Open biopsy if indicated
Head and Neck Mass Treatment Options:
- Treatment depends on the type of mass
Dr. Darryk Barlow is board certified in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. We evaluate and manage head and neck masses in both children and adults.
Common surgical procedures that we perform include:
- Biopsy of abnormal lesions of mouth, throat and neck
- Head and neck mass excision
- Abnormal lymph nodes
- Thyroglossal duct cysts
- Branchial cysts
- Removal of thyroid nodules
- Removal of parotid / submandibular gland tumors
Dr. Barlow operates on pediatric and adult patients at:
- Randall Children’s Hospital and Legacy Emanuel Hospital
- Adventist Medical Center
- Providence Milwaukie Hospital
Call (503) 257-3204 or request a visit online with us.
American Academy of Otolaryngology−Head and Neck Surgery. One Prince St., Alexandria, VA 22314-3357, 1-703-836-4444. 2010 AAO-HNS/AAO-HNSF Flint, P. W., C. W. Cummings, et al. (2010). Cummings otolaryngology head & neck surgery. Philadelphia, PA, Mosby/Elsevier: 3 v. (xlii, 2963, cxciv p.).
Call Mt. Hood ENT & Allergy at (503) 257-3204 for more information or to schedule an appointment.